(757) 455-8889

Virginia Workers’ Compensation – Definitions C Terms (Set 1)

These are commonly used workers’ compensation terms for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The terms are provided by the state workers’ compensation website. They are not legal advice. They’re general and meant to help you understand the terminology.

Cease and Desist: If an employer doesn’t have proper insurance as required by the Workers’ Compensation Act, the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission can order that the employer cease and desist all business operations and transactions.

Change in Condition: This applies when the physical condition of the worker changes for the better (usually meaning that the employee can return to work) or for the worse (usually meaning that some disability has become permanent). A change in condition can cause a workers’ compensation award to be suspended, ended, or altered. Changes in condition must be asserted in writing, the change must be identified and sent to the employer/employee. When warranted, the award will be changed.

Claim for Benefits Form (Form 5): This is the original form that the injured worker completes to claim (ask for) benefits. The claim is subject to a two year statute of limitations for accidents. Occupational Illness claims should also be filed within two (2) years from the date the doctor says your illness is work related or five (5) years from the time you were last exposed to the poor work condition. The earlier time limit usually controls. Some diseases may have different time limits.

Claim Adjuster: This is the person assigned to handle your workers’ compensation claim. A Claim Adjuster can also be known as a Claim Examiner.

Claim Administrator: A Claim Administrator is the organization, not just the individual, who has responsibility for your claim. They’re the organization that pays your compensation, medical bills and schedules your medical exams. The Claim Administrator organization is either a “self-administered insurance carrier, self-administered self-insured employer, or a third party administrator hired by an insurance company or self-insured employer to handle their workers’ compensation claims.”

Claim Administrator Claim Number: This is the number the insurance carrier assigns to the injured worker’s file. It’s different than the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission’s number.

Classification Code: This code helps to determine the amount of an employer’s insurance premium – the cost for the insurance policy. It’s one of three factors that are used to set the price. The codes are generated by the National Council on Compensation Insurance. There are 640 classification codes in Virginia that help identify the employer’s industry and industry segment. Many businesses have several classification codes though they have just one governing class code. Employers should be sure they have the right code.

Talk to a Norfolk Workers’ Comp Lawyer Today

Norfolk workers’ compensation lawyer Joe Miller at Joe Miller Law, has been helping injured workers fight for the benefits they need for over 25 years. He’s helped thousands of personal injury victims and as such, knows what benefits you’re allowed and how to work with your doctors and vocational experts. His experience lets him tackle the employer who refuses to pay or forces you to go back to work before you’re ready. Find out what he can do to help you today by calling Joe Miller Law, at (888) 694-1671.

Virginia Beach Office

5500-B Greenwich Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Elizabeth City Office
(by appointment only)
507 E Main St #K
Elizabeth City, NC 27907

If you are looking at this site, you or a loved one has probably been hurt. If that's true, you've come to the right place. Helping people who have been hurt is what we do. In fact, it is all we do. Joe Miller Law is a law firm concentrating exclusively on representing people who are injured by the carelessness of others or those hurt on the job. We provide the highest quality legal services to people who have been seriously injured. We practice Personal Injury law and Workmens' Compensation law in both Virginia and North Carolina.