(757) 455-8889

What to Do in Out-of-State Accidents

Local8.now.com reported on 5/19/2014 that a Pennsylvania motorcyclist was killed when his motorcycle collided with a North Carolina driver. The accident happened in Tennessee. The Pennsylvania motorcycle driver was responsible for the accident. He lost control of his motorcycle.

When a local citizen is hurt in another state, you need an experienced lawyer to make sure the right claims are brought in the right place.

  • Who is sued? If the North Carolina driver develops whiplash or other injuries, he could have the right to sue the estate of the motorcyclist.
  • Where is the case brought? The North Carolina driver could normally sue where the accident happened (Tennessee) or where the defendant lived (Pennsylvania). The personal injury laws are different in each state. The way evidence is presented is different in each state. The insurance laws are different in each state. An experienced local North Carolina lawyer will know where to bring the claim (Tennessee or Pennsylvania). They’ll also know how to proceed with the claim to minimize the need for the North Carolina victim to have to travel out of state. For example, the attorney can work to settle the case in a just and fair amount without having to file suit, although they will have to be very quick. Tennessee has only a one year statute of limitations, meaning suit must be filed in Tennessee within a year of the accident or the claim is forever lost.

Lawyer Joe Miller represents North Carolina and Virginia accident victims

Attorney Joe Miller at Joe Miller Law, helps North Carolina and Virginia accident victims wherever they’ve been hurt. If you’ve been hurt in any type of vehicle accident or any type of work-related accident, contact Joe Miller Law today by calling (888) 694-1671 for the experienced legal help you need.

Virginia Beach Office

5500-B Greenwich Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Elizabeth City Office
(by appointment only)
507 E Main St #K
Elizabeth City, NC 27907

If you are looking at this site, you or a loved one has probably been hurt. If that's true, you've come to the right place. Helping people who have been hurt is what we do. In fact, it is all we do. Joe Miller Law is a law firm concentrating exclusively on representing people who are injured by the carelessness of others or those hurt on the job. We provide the highest quality legal services to people who have been seriously injured. We practice Personal Injury law and Workmens' Compensation law in both Virginia and North Carolina.