If I go to a hearing with the Industrial Commission, can they award me a big sum of money, like if I went to a jury trial?

No, except insofar as any money you may be due in the past for any period for wherein it is determined that your employer should have paid you temporary total disability. Other than that, with respect to your claim, the Commission can really only determine whether or not you are entitled to ongoing benefits of your compensation checks and medical care related to the accident, or not. Therefore, if you have an accepted claim, there is usually little to be gained by going to a hearing. The only way to potentially obtain a large lump sum of money in such circumstance is through a settlement or clincher agreement with your employer and workers’ compensation carrier.