(757) 455-8889

Workplace Injury Frequently Asked Questions

WARNING: All of the information provided here is of a general nature only. The specific facts of your case may require a completely different answer. Do not base any decision with respect to your case solely on any of the answers found herein. Prior to making any decision with respect to your case, you should speak with a competent attorney who is familiar with the laws that relate to your case.

The loved one who was killed in my situation was a child. They do not have any money or “Estate” of any kind. So, I do not understand. How do I administrate something that doesn’t exist?

When we are talking about wrongful death claims, the “Estate” is really just the legal entity that is created in order to bring a claim and receive money to pay out to the beneficiaries once the claim is concluded. If you are a person who wants to qualify to be the personal representative of the child’s estate, you must go down to the Clerk of Court and file the necessary paperwork in order to qualify as personal representative and administrator of the child’s estate so that any money that is obtained in the wrongful death case can be distributed to the proper beneficiaries. You must tell the Clerk that you are doing this in order to move ahead with a wrongful death claim on behalf of the child. It is important that the appropriate boxes are checked on the form in order to indicate that you anticipate bringing a wrongful death claim.

Virginia Beach Office

5500-B Greenwich Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Elizabeth City Office
(by appointment only)
507 E Main St #K
Elizabeth City, NC 27907

If you are looking at this site, you or a loved one has probably been hurt. If that's true, you've come to the right place. Helping people who have been hurt is what we do. In fact, it is all we do. Joe Miller Law is a law firm concentrating exclusively on representing people who are injured by the carelessness of others or those hurt on the job. We provide the highest quality legal services to people who have been seriously injured. We practice Personal Injury law and Workmens' Compensation law in both Virginia and North Carolina.